Beginner Running Program in All Saints Village, MO
Beginner running program in All Saints Village, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can boost mental health, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in All Saints Village, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in All Saints Village, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in All Saints Village, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some All Saints Village, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, constant improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in All Saints Village, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our All Saints Village, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in All Saints Village, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in All Saints Village, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the All Saints Village, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in All Saints Village, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in All Saints Village, MO
Starting a beginner running program in All Saints Village, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in All Saints Village, MO, request an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.