Beginner Running Program in Antonia, MO
Beginner running program in Antonia, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Antonia, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Antonia, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Antonia, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Antonia, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Antonia, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Antonia, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Antonia, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Antonia, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more rigorous running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Antonia, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Antonia, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Antonia, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Antonia, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Antonia, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.