Beginner Running Program in Augusta, MO
Beginner running program in Augusta, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Augusta, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s used to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Augusta, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Augusta, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Augusta, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like high knees that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Augusta, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Augusta, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Augusta, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Augusta, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Augusta, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Augusta, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Total Knee Replacement Physical Therapy
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Augusta, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Augusta, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Augusta, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.