Beginner Running Program in Avon, MO
Beginner running program in Avon, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and almost anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Avon, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Avon, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Avon, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Avon, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Avon, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Avon, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Avon, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Avon, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Avon, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Avon, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Avon, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Avon, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Avon, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location nearest you.