Beginner Running Program in Barnhart, MO
Beginner running program in Barnhart, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can improve mental health, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Barnhart, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and affordable way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Barnhart, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Barnhart, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Barnhart, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and feels less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Barnhart, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Barnhart, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Barnhart, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Barnhart, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more strenuous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Barnhart, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Barnhart, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Barnhart, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Barnhart, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Barnhart, MO, schedule an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.