Beginner Running Program in Barretts, MO
Beginner running program in Barretts, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can boost mental health, help you lose weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Barretts, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Barretts, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Barretts, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Barretts, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like high knees that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Barretts, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Barretts, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Barretts, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Barretts, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Barretts, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Barretts, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Barretts, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Barretts, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Barretts, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location closest to you.