Beginner Running Program in Beaufort, MO
Beginner running program in Beaufort, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Beaufort, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Beaufort, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Beaufort, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Beaufort, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, constant improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Beaufort, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Beaufort, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Beaufort, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Beaufort, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Beaufort, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Beaufort, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Beaufort, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Beaufort, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Beaufort, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location closest to you.