Beginner Running Program in Bella Villa, MO
Beginner running program in Bella Villa, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Bella Villa, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Bella Villa, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Bella Villa, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Bella Villa, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Bella Villa, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Bella Villa, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Bella Villa, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Bella Villa, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Bella Villa, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Bella Villa, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Bella Villa, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Bella Villa, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Bella Villa, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.