Beginner Running Program in Berkeley, MO
Beginner running program in Berkeley, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and nearly anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Berkeley, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and economical way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Berkeley, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Berkeley, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Berkeley, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Berkeley, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Berkeley, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Berkeley, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Berkeley, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Berkeley, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Berkeley, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Berkeley, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Berkeley, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Berkeley, MO, request an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.