Beginner Running Program in Bismarck, MO
Beginner running program in Bismarck, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Bismarck, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Bismarck, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Bismarck, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Bismarck, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, progressive improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Bismarck, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Bismarck, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Bismarck, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Bismarck, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Bismarck, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Bismarck, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Bismarck, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Bismarck, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Bismarck, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.