Beginner Running Program in Black Jack, MO
Beginner running program in Black Jack, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Black Jack, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s used to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Black Jack, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Black Jack, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Black Jack, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, constant development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Black Jack, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Black Jack, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Black Jack, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Black Jack, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more rigorous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Black Jack, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Black Jack, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Black Jack, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Black Jack, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Black Jack, MO, make an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.