Beginner Running Program in Bloomsdale, MO
Beginner running program in Bloomsdale, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Bloomsdale, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Bloomsdale, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Bloomsdale, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Bloomsdale, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Bloomsdale, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Bloomsdale, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Bloomsdale, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Bloomsdale, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Bloomsdale, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Bloomsdale, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Bloomsdale, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Bloomsdale, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Bloomsdale, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.