Beginner Running Program in Boles, MO
Beginner running program in Boles, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Boles, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Boles, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Boles, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Boles, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and experience less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Boles, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Boles, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Boles, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Boles, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more challenging running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Boles, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Boles, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Boles, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Boles, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Boles, MO, request an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.