Beginner Running Program in Bonne Terre, MO
Beginner running program in Bonne Terre, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Bonne Terre, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Bonne Terre, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Bonne Terre, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Bonne Terre, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Bonne Terre, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Bonne Terre, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Bonne Terre, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Bonne Terre, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more rigorous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Bonne Terre, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Bonne Terre, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Bonne Terre, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Bonne Terre, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Bonne Terre, MO, request an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.