Beginner Running Program in Brentwood, MO
Beginner running program in Brentwood, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Brentwood, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Brentwood, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Brentwood, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Brentwood, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, constant improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Brentwood, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Brentwood, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Brentwood, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Brentwood, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more strenuous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Brentwood, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Brentwood, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Brentwood, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Brentwood, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Brentwood, MO, request an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.