Beginner Running Program in Byrnes Mill, MO
Beginner running program in Byrnes Mill, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Byrnes Mill, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Byrnes Mill, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Byrnes Mill, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Byrnes Mill, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Byrnes Mill, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Byrnes Mill, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Byrnes Mill, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Byrnes Mill, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Byrnes Mill, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Byrnes Mill, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Byrnes Mill, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Byrnes Mill, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Byrnes Mill, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location nearest you.