Beginner Running Program in Calverton Park, MO
Beginner running program in Calverton Park, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Calverton Park, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Calverton Park, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Calverton Park, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Calverton Park, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like high knees that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Calverton Park, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Calverton Park, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Calverton Park, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Calverton Park, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more strenuous running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Calverton Park, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Calverton Park, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Calverton Park, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Calverton Park, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Calverton Park, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.