Beginner Running Program in Campbellton, MO
Beginner running program in Campbellton, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Campbellton, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Campbellton, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Campbellton, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Campbellton, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, progressive improvement, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Campbellton, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Campbellton, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Campbellton, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Campbellton, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more rigorous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Campbellton, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Campbellton, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Campbellton, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Campbellton, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Campbellton, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.