Beginner Running Program in Catawissa, MO
Beginner running program in Catawissa, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Catawissa, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Catawissa, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Catawissa, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Catawissa, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Catawissa, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Catawissa, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Catawissa, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Catawissa, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more challenging running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Catawissa, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Catawissa, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Catawissa, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Catawissa, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Catawissa, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.