Beginner Running Program in Chain of Rocks, MO
Beginner running program in Chain of Rocks, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and just about anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Chain of Rocks, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Chain of Rocks, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Chain of Rocks, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Chain of Rocks, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Chain of Rocks, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Chain of Rocks, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Chain of Rocks, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Chain of Rocks, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Chain of Rocks, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Chain of Rocks, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Chain of Rocks, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Chain of Rocks, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Chain of Rocks, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location closest to you.