Beginner Running Program in Chesterfield, MO
Beginner running program in Chesterfield, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Chesterfield, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Chesterfield, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Chesterfield, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Chesterfield, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Chesterfield, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Chesterfield, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Chesterfield, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Chesterfield, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Chesterfield, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Chesterfield, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Chesterfield, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Chesterfield, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Chesterfield, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.