Beginner Running Program in Clarkson Valley, MO
Beginner running program in Clarkson Valley, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Clarkson Valley, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Clarkson Valley, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Clarkson Valley, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Clarkson Valley, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Clarkson Valley, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Clarkson Valley, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Clarkson Valley, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Clarkson Valley, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Clarkson Valley, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Clarkson Valley, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Clarkson Valley, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Clarkson Valley, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Clarkson Valley, MO, request an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.