Beginner Running Program in Clearwater, MO
Beginner running program in Clearwater, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Clearwater, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Clearwater, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Clearwater, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Clearwater, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, constant improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Clearwater, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Clearwater, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Clearwater, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Clearwater, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Clearwater, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Clearwater, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Clearwater, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Clearwater, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Clearwater, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.