Beginner Running Program in Clover Bottom, MO
Beginner running program in Clover Bottom, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Clover Bottom, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Clover Bottom, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Clover Bottom, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Clover Bottom, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Clover Bottom, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Clover Bottom, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Clover Bottom, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Clover Bottom, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Clover Bottom, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Clover Bottom, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Clover Bottom, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Clover Bottom, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Clover Bottom, MO, request an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location nearest you.