Beginner Running Program in Collinsville, IL
Beginner running program in Collinsville, IL. The benefits of running are clear: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and just about anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Collinsville, IL, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and affordable way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Collinsville, IL, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Collinsville, IL
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Collinsville, IL residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Collinsville, IL Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Collinsville, IL physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Collinsville, IL can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Collinsville, IL can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Collinsville, IL physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Collinsville, IL include:
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Collinsville, IL
Starting a beginner running program in Collinsville, IL can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Collinsville, IL, request an appointment online, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.