Beginner Running Program in Country Life Acres, MO
Beginner running program in Country Life Acres, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and nearly anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Country Life Acres, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Country Life Acres, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Country Life Acres, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Country Life Acres, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and feels less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Country Life Acres, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Country Life Acres, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Country Life Acres, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Country Life Acres, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more rigorous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Country Life Acres, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Country Life Acres, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Country Life Acres, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Country Life Acres, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Country Life Acres, MO, request an appointment online, or call the Axes location nearest you.