Beginner Running Program in Creve Coeur, MO
Beginner running program in Creve Coeur, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Creve Coeur, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Creve Coeur, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Creve Coeur, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Creve Coeur, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, constant development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Creve Coeur, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Creve Coeur, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Creve Coeur, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Creve Coeur, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more demanding running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also show you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Creve Coeur, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Creve Coeur, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Creve Coeur, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Creve Coeur, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Creve Coeur, MO, make an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.