Beginner Running Program in Crystal City, MO
Beginner running program in Crystal City, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Crystal City, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Crystal City, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Crystal City, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Crystal City, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Crystal City, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Crystal City, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Crystal City, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Crystal City, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Crystal City, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Crystal City, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Crystal City, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Crystal City, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Crystal City, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.