Beginner Running Program in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Beginner running program in Dardenne Prairie, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Dardenne Prairie, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Dardenne Prairie, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Dardenne Prairie, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and feels less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Dardenne Prairie, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Dardenne Prairie, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Dardenne Prairie, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Dardenne Prairie, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Dardenne Prairie, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Dardenne Prairie, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.