Beginner Running Program in Defiance, MO
Beginner running program in Defiance, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Defiance, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Defiance, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Defiance, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Defiance, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, constant development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and experience less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Defiance, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Defiance, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Defiance, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Defiance, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Defiance, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Defiance, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Defiance, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Defiance, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Defiance, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.