Beginner Running Program in Dellwood, MO
Beginner running program in Dellwood, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Dellwood, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Dellwood, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Dellwood, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Dellwood, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, constant development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Dellwood, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Dellwood, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Dellwood, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Dellwood, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more demanding running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Dellwood, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Dellwood, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Dellwood, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Dellwood, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Dellwood, MO, make an appointment online, or call the Axes location nearest you.