Beginner Running Program in Des Peres, MO
Beginner running program in Des Peres, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost mental health, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Des Peres, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Des Peres, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Des Peres, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Des Peres, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and feels less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Des Peres, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Des Peres, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Des Peres, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Des Peres, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more strenuous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Des Peres, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Des Peres, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Des Peres, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Des Peres, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Des Peres, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.