Beginner Running Program in Dittmer, MO
Beginner running program in Dittmer, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve mental health, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Dittmer, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Dittmer, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Dittmer, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Dittmer, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, constant development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Dittmer, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Dittmer, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Dittmer, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Dittmer, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more rigorous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Dittmer, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Dittmer, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Dittmer, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Dittmer, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Dittmer, MO, schedule an appointment online, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.