Beginner Running Program in Earth City, MO
Beginner running program in Earth City, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Earth City, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Earth City, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Earth City, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Earth City, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Earth City, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Earth City, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Earth City, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Earth City, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more demanding running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Earth City, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Earth City, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Earth City, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Earth City, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Earth City, MO, request an appointment online, or call the Axes location nearest you.