Beginner Running Program in East St. Louis, IL
Beginner running program in East St. Louis, IL. The benefits of running are any: it can boost mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in East St. Louis, IL, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in East St. Louis, IL, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in East St. Louis, IL
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some East St. Louis, IL residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like high knees that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in East St. Louis, IL Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our East St. Louis, IL physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in East St. Louis, IL can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in East St. Louis, IL can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the East St. Louis, IL physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in East St. Louis, IL include:
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in East St. Louis, IL
Starting a beginner running program in East St. Louis, IL does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in East St. Louis, IL, schedule an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.