Beginner Running Program in Ellisville, MO
Beginner running program in Ellisville, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Ellisville, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and affordable way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Ellisville, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Ellisville, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Ellisville, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, constant development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Ellisville, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Ellisville, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Ellisville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Ellisville, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more strenuous running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Ellisville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Ellisville, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Ellisville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Ellisville, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Ellisville, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.