Beginner Running Program in Ethlyn, MO
Beginner running program in Ethlyn, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Ethlyn, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Ethlyn, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Ethlyn, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Ethlyn, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, constant development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Ethlyn, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Ethlyn, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Ethlyn, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Ethlyn, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Ethlyn, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Ethlyn, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Ethlyn, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Ethlyn, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Ethlyn, MO, schedule an appointment online, or contact the Axes location nearest you.