Beginner Running Program in Farmington, MO
Beginner running program in Farmington, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Farmington, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than you’re used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Farmington, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Farmington, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Farmington, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Farmington, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Farmington, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Farmington, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Farmington, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Farmington, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Farmington, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Farmington, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Farmington, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Farmington, MO, make an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.