Beginner Running Program in Femme Osage, MO
Beginner running program in Femme Osage, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Femme Osage, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Femme Osage, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Femme Osage, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Femme Osage, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, progressive development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Femme Osage, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Femme Osage, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Femme Osage, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Femme Osage, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Femme Osage, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Femme Osage, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Femme Osage, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Femme Osage, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Femme Osage, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.