Beginner Running Program in Ferguson, MO
Beginner running program in Ferguson, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Ferguson, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Ferguson, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Ferguson, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Ferguson, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, constant development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Ferguson, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Ferguson, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Ferguson, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Ferguson, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Ferguson, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Ferguson, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Ferguson, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Ferguson, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Ferguson, MO, request an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.