Beginner Running Program in Flint Hill, MO
Beginner running program in Flint Hill, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Flint Hill, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Flint Hill, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Flint Hill, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Flint Hill, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Flint Hill, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Flint Hill, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Flint Hill, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Flint Hill, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Flint Hill, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Flint Hill, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Flint Hill, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Flint Hill, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Flint Hill, MO, schedule an appointment online, or call the Axes location closest to you.