Beginner Running Program in Foley, MO
Beginner running program in Foley, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Foley, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Foley, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Foley, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Foley, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, progressive development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Foley, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Foley, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Foley, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Foley, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more challenging running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Foley, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Foley, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Foley, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Foley, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Foley, MO, make an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.