Beginner Running Program in Foristell, MO
Beginner running program in Foristell, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Foristell, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Foristell, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Foristell, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Foristell, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unrealistic goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually build up how long you run for as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Foristell, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Foristell, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Foristell, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Foristell, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your form.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Foristell, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Foristell, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Foristell, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Foristell, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Foristell, MO, schedule an appointment online, or contact the Axes location nearest you.