Beginner Running Program in Glen Carbon, IL
Beginner running program in Glen Carbon, IL. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Glen Carbon, IL, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Glen Carbon, IL, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Glen Carbon, IL
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Glen Carbon, IL residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Glen Carbon, IL Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Glen Carbon, IL physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Glen Carbon, IL can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Glen Carbon, IL can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more challenging running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Glen Carbon, IL physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Glen Carbon, IL include:
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Glen Carbon, IL
Starting a beginner running program in Glen Carbon, IL does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Glen Carbon, IL, contact us online, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.