Beginner Running Program in Grantwood Village, MO
Beginner running program in Grantwood Village, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Grantwood Village, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Grantwood Village, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Grantwood Village, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Grantwood Village, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Grantwood Village, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Grantwood Village, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Grantwood Village, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Grantwood Village, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Grantwood Village, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Grantwood Village, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Grantwood Village, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Grantwood Village, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Grantwood Village, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location closest to you.