Beginner Running Program in Green Park, MO
Beginner running program in Green Park, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Green Park, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Green Park, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Green Park, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Green Park, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, progressive improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and improved mental health.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Green Park, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Green Park, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Green Park, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Green Park, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Green Park, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Green Park, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Green Park, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Green Park, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Green Park, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.