Beginner Running Program in Grover, MO
Beginner running program in Grover, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Grover, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Grover, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Grover, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Grover, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains persists or increases, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Grover, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Grover, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Grover, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Grover, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more demanding running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Grover, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Grover, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Grover, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Grover, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Grover, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location closest to you.