Beginner Running Program in Hawk Point, MO
Beginner running program in Hawk Point, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can improve mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Hawk Point, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and affordable way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Hawk Point, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Hawk Point, MO
Going from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some Hawk Point, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, constant improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. You can still run as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Hawk Point, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Hawk Point, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Hawk Point, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Hawk Point, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Hawk Point, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Hawk Point, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Hawk Point, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Hawk Point, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Hawk Point, MO, schedule an appointment online, or call the Axes location nearest you.