Beginner Running Program in Hazelwood, MO
Beginner running program in Hazelwood, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Hazelwood, MO, you may not know how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than your body’s accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Hazelwood, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Hazelwood, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some Hazelwood, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a medical professional, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Hazelwood, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Hazelwood, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Hazelwood, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Hazelwood, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Hazelwood, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Hazelwood, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Hazelwood, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Hazelwood, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Hazelwood, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.