Beginner Running Program in Hematite, MO
Beginner running program in Hematite, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can boost your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Hematite, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Hematite, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Hematite, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some Hematite, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, constant development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Hematite, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Hematite, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Hematite, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Hematite, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Hematite, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Hematite, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Hematite, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Hematite, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Hematite, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.